Saturday, May 16, 2009

Don't be stopped!

I'll admit, I've never been one to stick to things, particularly an exercise program. I really need someone there telling me where to go, what to do, how much to work. Its the mentality of a team sports player. You get used to being told what to do, how to do it and not ask questions. It is also this mentality which got me into Beachbody. Their coaching opportunity and their online forums help keep me accountable to my work out. I'm still working on the diet (again, that team sports mentality: I can eat anything and not gain weight. I need to realize I'm not 16 anymore) but the work outs are now habit. In fact, I become quiet cranky if I know that I can't get a work out in. I will arrange my schedule around my work out so that I can make sure I get at least 30 minutes of something in.

30 minutes is better than nothing.

I really need to pump it up to an hour. That may be next month's goal. Start getting up to an hour a day.

I was recently speaking with a friend about working out and I told her that I had lumbospondylosis, which is an arthritic spinal condition and along with it, I have a herniated disc. About three years ago, I bent over to pick something up, and felt a strain across my lower back like nothing I had ever felt before. With minutes, I couldn't feel my two outer toes. Within days, I couldn't feel my foot. After several weeks, I couldn't feel my leg. How I didn't break anything I still don't know, because I was walking around, not feeling the ground below me and not sure if the leg I was walking on was going to give underneath me. Eventually, it got to the point where I was unable to move. I was walking around on a cane. I had to go in for an MRI where I discovered that I had a herniated/bulging disc. And by the look of the MRI, there wasn't much of the disc left.

So I had to stop working out, because, well, I couldn't feel my leg. I eventually went in for cortisone shots, which helped tremendously and really haven't had problems since. Oh sure, my leg will get all pins and needly sometimes, but it usually goes away within an hour or so.

My friend was amazed that I had come from this point where I was walking with a cane to working out every day. I told her that I could very easily sit on my butt and say, I can't do this. But there are people who are in worse conditions than me, and do they say 'I can't do this'? NO! So why should I? Its all about having the will to get up and say I'm not going to be stopped.

I'm not going to be stopped, and I'm not going to stop. That's why I love Yoga Booty Ballet, because it is easy on my joints but gives me a great work out. Believe it or not, I'm dripping with sweat when I get done.

So, no matter what, don't be stopped. You can modify your plans to fit your life, but don't be stopped. Don't ever be stopped. Keep getting off the couch, keep sweating and keep living healthy. Don't we owe it to ourselves to be healthy?

My Beachbody Page

No comments:

Post a Comment